Friday, April 30, 2010

Deals gone bad...

Is one of my favorite bands to listen to here.  Ska and Reggae served up Chicago-style, I mean, what's not to like?  Many the long day have they gotten me through with tracks like, "City, City" (about Chicago) and " Things are Going to Get Better (about...Iraq?).  Best of all is that not only do they make me happy, but they help make my battle buddies happy.  Case in point:

The other day we had another concrete pour ("Another!"  you exclaim.  "Yes, another.") and due to an increased threat to the COB from IDF we had all of our battle rattle out there with us, including three MRAPs providing overwatch.  As it so happens, my MRAP was very very very very far inside the wire (and essentially just sitting there looking good) so after about 10 hours of sitting behind my m240B I decided it was time...time for Deals Gone Bad...time to...skank!

Skanking, for those of you unfamiliar with ska-punk rockers, is a type of dance step somewhat comical to watch only one person do, by themselves, especially when the music that they're listening to is sooooo quiet that only they can hear it.  After skanking-out to Deals Gone Bad for awhile, it was time to listen to some electronic music (Scooter to the rescue!) and during one of his many fantastic songs (The Neverending Story) I decided that even though I'm not Italian, it was time to beat the beat.  Yes, there are pictures.  No, you may not see them.  And yes, the rumours are true, I was wearing a military Shemmagh (or kuffiyah for you purists about names) while I did my dance.

There are some lessons to be learned from this.  Metabolism boosting pills give you too much energy.  Lack of good sleep makes you slap-happy.  Lack of eating (no one here is hungry, because of the heat) combined with metabolism boosting pills gives you CRAZY energy!  Drink water!

What are my requests of you, the reader?  Send me some other albums by Deals Gone Bad.  I sadly only have "The Ramblers"  by them, and some of the songs from their other albums are stuck on repeat in my head, and the only way to get them out is to listen to them in their entirety.  Other than that, things here are okay - the occasional IDF, but generally good.  The full moon took place the other night, and it was beautiful!  I've also finished every movie and book I brought out here.  For those of you looking for a good book to read, I can't recommend The Club Dumas enough!  It only took me a day, it's about 400 pages, and it is a real page turner! Three Musketeers references!  Devil Worship! The femme fatale!  Old books! Europe! What can I say, it has everything.

The mail has also been getting through somewhat more quickly, which has all of us in higher spirits than before. Thank you postmaster general, thank you SPC Felda, and thank you SGT Evans.

No comments: